Rats are horrible, dirty rodents that can be found in and outside the house. For survival, rats require shelter, water, and enough food. And if your home provides these three things, it is a tough task to get rid of them. Rats as well as their smaller relatives, mice, are attracted to garbage, pet food, compost bins or food droppings. In addition, they carry more than 20 diseases, and can be really dangerous. Though you keep your home clean, these furry interlopers always find a way to enter. Everyone worries about how to get rid of rats when they find them in their kitchen, yard, shed or house. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Our home remedies for rats will keep them away from the house and out of sight.
How to Get Rid of Rats
1. Moth Balls
Note: Avoid placing these mothballs inside the house as its smell is harmful to humans. Take proper care that you do not touch it with bare hands.
Since rats can’t stand the smell of ammonia; hence, this remedy will do the job.
3. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil can be used to prevent rats as they can’t stand its pungent smell. All you have to do is dip some cotton balls in the peppermint oil and place them in the rat-prone area. It will surely give satisfactory results.
- Alternatively, citronella and castor oil can also be used.
- Or else, grow mint plants around the boundaries of your home.
4. Owl’s Feather
- Alternatively, if you can’t find one, keep some plastic snakes in your garden to get rid of rats in the yard.
The pungent smell of pepper makes it hard for the rats to breathe and threatens their survival. Simply sprinkle some crushed pepper around the corners and the holes where they reside. You will notice positive results. Repeat the process if necessary.
6. Bay Leaf
Put some bay leaves in the rat-prone area. Keep repeating the process until all of them are gone.
8. Make Your Own Trap
Trapping is one of the best ways to get rid of rats fast. You can take a humane trap and put bait in it to attract the rat. Peanut butter and cheese are the rat’s favorite. As the rat tries to eat this, it will be caught in the trap. After this, you can leave it in the woods or far away from your home so that it never comes back.
Note: You can add boric acid in the peanut butter to make it more effective.
Note: Wear latex gloves while using this remedy.
9. Dried Snake Litter/ Cat Litter
- Alternatively, you can also use cat’s litter. However, if the rat is infected with toxoplasmosis, it strangely may actually be attracted to cats and cat litter (a very weird side effect of the disease)
Note: Keep it out of the reach of pets and children.
10. Human Hair
It may sound weird, but rats can’t bear the sight of the human hair. This can be an effective way to repel rats. Clip a few strands and throw them inside the holes of rats, or at the places they tend to visit the most. As the rats will eat the hair, they will die.
11. Cow Dung
It is a stinky process but one of the best ways to prevent these rodents. Take some cow dung cakes and spread them in your attic or garden. When rats eat the cow dung, it will inflame their stomach and lead them to die. Thus, helps get rid of rats outside the house.
Ultrasonic sound emitters can be purchased from good hardware stores. This sound not only hurts them, but also makes their ears bleed.
A sharp noise-making sound box is all you need to make them run away.
13. Baby Powder
This powder intoxicates the rodents and helps you get rid of them to some extent.
14. Steel Wool
So, find out their access point and block the way.
- Always keep the home and attic clean.
- Seal all the possible entries of the rats using caulk.
- Keep your garbage cans neat and cover them with a lid.
- You can also own a cat.
- Remove all the food leftovers and grease from BBQ Grills.
- When you experience the presence of these rodents, do clean the floor with a solution of bleach and water (equal proportion) to safeguard your family from any disease.
- Clean the standing water from flower pots and other sources.
- Cut down tall shrubs and weeds from your garden.
- Do not spill food here and there.
- Do not leave the food uncovered.